Thursday, November 29, 2012

Almost, Nearly...But Not Quite

This has been an exciting week for UNINTIMIDATED. As of tonight, God has brought two more students into the prayer group. The stories of how each of the kids knew this was something God wanted them to do are pretty amazing. God has been so direct in leading them into this and they're so excited to share what God showed them; and they are so amazed at how He made it so clear to them. In their words, "it's so cool how God did that." Yes, it is so very cool how God did that.
     Just a few minutes ago I received a text from one of my girls showing me their Bible verse for the week. It is the passage in Ecclesiastes 5 that deals with making vows and what God expects. She was so excited to show me that verse. I mentioned to her it seemed as if God was speaking to some of the students in her Bible class about joining while reminding others of the commitment they made back in March. She said this verse has reminded her all week to pray. She then sent another message that made my heart rejoice...she's excited about tomorrow...the day UNINTIMIDATED meets to pray together. Teens excited about getting together and praying, yes, God, very cool indeed.
    Then there are two teen boys in my homeroom who, well, I think kind of missed the boat by a few inches. I shared with them on Tuesday about God sending someone to Tebow to pray with him. This apparently motivated two of my students to begin a prayer campaign of their own, a good thing, right? So that morning during devotions, one of them requested that he and his friend get to meet someone. The boy is sometimes difficult to understand, so I thought he meant Tebow. As we bowed our heads to pray, I heard one of his classmates comment on the fact that the 'someone' was his favorite rock band. The next day, the boy again requests prayer, but this time it's an unspoken. I told him I was not going to pray that God allows him to meet someone who isn't saved and lives a life contrary to God, he said okay. Today, he once again requests prayer for an unspoken request. I asked him if it was rock star I was praying for him to meet and he assured me it wasn't. One of his classmates said no, it's now Arnold Schwarzenegger. Really?! I'm not sure how to take that. On the one hand, the boy believes God can do it and is praying for it to be done. He took Matthew 18:19 literally and got his friend to pray with him...that's two agreeing in prayer, but he's praying for things that don't really honor God. I find it humorous, but realize I may need to do a better job explaining why Tebow and how it all came about and what God taught me about that verse. But still, a student taking God at His Word and beginning a prayer campaign all on his own...that we can work with and hopefully direct down a right path.
      So yes, it has been an exciting week of seeing God work in the life of my teen-agers. It's exciting to see that most of them are heading in the right direction and a few are almost, nearly there, but not quite...yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment