Monday, November 19, 2012

"Put Me In Coach"

We've all heard stories of the little guy who wants to play in a game and begs his coach to put him in, assuring his coach that he can play. And often, the story ends with a reluctant coach finally putting that little guy in in the final minutes and winning a game because of it.
    God has been working on me over a situation for many days and tonight I was reminded of those types of stories as I read through II Chronicles 24. The king had commanded the Levites to go throughout the nation and collect money and gifts for repairs on the Temple. The Levites were slow to act because they really didn't think the people would give. They underestimated what the people could do and how willing they would be to do something for God.
     God has been working on me for the past several days about opening UNINTIMIDATED up to our entire high school. I've been hesitant because I don't want them to enter into this lightly. I want them to understand the commitment they are making in becoming a prayer warrior and praying for a chance to meet Tebow. Honestly, I've avoided it too, because I don't see any of them wanting to commit. But that would be me making that decision for them, just as the Levites made the decision for the Israelites. I have no idea who, if any of them, would want to join, but none of them will if I don't give them the chance. I am avoiding this because I don't think they'll join, I am underestimating what they want to do for God.
     When the Levites did finally go and make the collections they were surprised at the amount of gifts and money the people gave. The Bible says the collection boxes overflowed with money and gifts, that there was surplus money to do even more than planned for. I feel this is God telling me to go ahead and open it up and let His power overflow this request. Perhaps more than I think will take up the challenge of becoming a prayer warrior and experience all that we have in their own walks with God. And as God also pointed out that the Levites slowness in acting was the same thing as disobedience, I guess I'll bring this up in my high school classes tomorrow.
     Sometimes, the story of that little guy ends with the coach not putting him in. That coach will never know what kind of difference the little guy could have made because he never gave him a chance. I don't want to be in that position, of not knowing what could have been, of missing out on meeting Tebow because I didn't offer the chance to someone to join in . I will offer them that chance and leave their hearts and their responses up to God and hopefully, I will be as surprised at who joins as the Levites were at the amounts given..

No comments:

Post a Comment